Nissan has one of the most comprehensive European presences of any overseas manufacturer, employing more than 17,000 staff across locally-based Design, Research & Development, Manufacturing, Logistics, Purchasing and Sales & Marketing operations. Total production in the UK alone is now over 9 million vehicles including award-winning crossovers, commercial vehicles and the Nissan LEAF, the world’s most popular electric vehicle.
We are an ambitious organisation, and we are looking for an equally ambitious and innovative Exterior Trim Cost Leadership Engineer to join our dynamic Exterior Trim Design team. Nissan is positioned to become the most desirable Asian brand in Europe, and we need your help to get there.
We are seeking an Engineer to be based at Nissan Technical Centre Europe, Cranfield which is the head office for Nissan’s Research & Development operations in Europe, working closely with Project Management, Purchasing, Exterior and other Design Engineering teams and suppliers to develop and deliver technical cost reduction for exterior systems that satisfies customer expectation meeting quality, cost and timing targets.
You will be responsible for:
* Developing and delivering technical cost reduction for current programs.
* Studying systems, components and processes to find opportunities for cost reduction studies
* Leading the section’s deep study of existing components to identify cost reduction opportunities (including reporting status and presenting opportunities to other functions within design/sales/styling groups).
* Managing timing plans, supplier testing and adoption of ideas in order to achieve the department cost reduction KPI.
As you would expect, being a global organisation, working cross functionally across the business and with our suppliers will be an essential part of the role. European travel is a certainty but you may be required to travel outside of Europe during crucial development periods.
Successful applicants will have experience in the following:
* Interior/exterior system design and development or similar within the automotive sector.
* Ability to demonstrate technical competence in designing to cost and quality targets, design for manufacture, supplier management (both technically and from a 'project' perspective), concern investigation, countermeasure development and decision analysis.
* Ability to work under own initiative and be comfortable working to defined schedules in a multi-national, multi-cultural team on multiple projects.
* Ability to use NX CAD advantageous.
* Good communication and presentation skills essential
We’re looking for people who want to build a solid career with us. Nissan has invested heavily in the UK with the production of the new X-Trail, Qashqai and LEAF taking place in Sunderland so we are here to stay; and we’re hoping you will join us for the ride. We offer competitive salaries dependent on the experience you bring, and will pay you for any overtime you work over your contracted 39 hours per week.
What’s more, we think you’ll like working with us because of our valued culture. We pride ourselves on being a transparent, cross-cultural and competitive business; we want you to challenge the norm and contribute to improvement whether you’ve been here ten days or ten years, so apply now to join Nissan’s innovative Research & Development team!