6 months ago
Industrial Placement - Electrical Engineer
First established in 1902, Triumph Motorcycles celebrated 110 years of motorcycle manufacturing in 2012. For more than two decades, Triumph Motorcycles has been based in Hinckley, Leicestershire, and has produced iconic bikes that perfectly blend authentic design, character, charisma and performance.
Building around 60,000 bikes per year, Triumph is the largest British Motorcycle Manufacturer and has over 750 Dealers across the world.
At the heart of Triumph’s philosophy is a commitment and passion to develop truly unique motorcycles that offer a blend of distinctive design, intuitive handling and performance to enjoy the perfect ride.
This focus, innovation and engineering passion has today created a broad range of bikes suited to all motorcycle riders, including the striking 2.3 litre Rocket III, the unmistakable Speed Triple, the TT winning SuperSports Daytona 675R, class defining Tiger 800, transcontinental Tiger Explorer and the iconic Triumph Bonneville family.
Triumph currently employs around 2000 personnel worldwide and has subsidiary operations in the UK, America, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan, Sweden, Benelux, Brazil, India and Thailand, as well as a network of independent distributors. Triumph has manufacturing facilities in Hinckley, Leicestershire and Thailand plus CKD facilities in Brazil and India.
These placements will be based within the Design Department where your role will be similar to that of a full time Design Engineer. The work will be real, interesting and relevant to your studies, helping to develop and test a broad range of skills drawn from the knowledge you have gained at University. The role will include a mixture of both practical workshop based tasks and office based work, as well as liaising with external suppliers and internal departments.
Preferred area of study is BEng of MEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (or a closely related Electrical Engineering degree).
• An Industrial Placement in Design is ideally suited to Electrical and Electronic Engineering students.
• A high percentage of industrial placement students go on to join Triumph in full time employment after graduating.
• Students aren't taken on as extra resource, they are needed to fulfil the role of an engineer and contribute to the design and development of a production motorcycle. The work is real, interesting and relevant to your studies.
• The Electrical design team work closely with the Chassis and Powertrain teams and provide expertise on all electrical systems / electronic components. This provides a great opportunity to broaden your knowledge by learning about the whole electrical system rather than focussing on one specific area.
• The role will develop and test a broad range of skills which will include: Design and development of whole vehicle circuit layouts and wiring harnesses; specification of a wide variety of electrical/electronic components and systems; development of test and instrumentation methods.
• The role will provide a good mixture of both office based and practical workshop based tasks and you will have the opportunity to learn new skills and improve on existing ones that you will have already picked up from Laboratory exercises at University. • As soon as you join the Company you will undertake an induction programme.
• Our open plan office layout and management strategy promotes effective and timely communication and teamwork.
• As part of your responsibilities as a Student Design Engineer you will be required to communicate with external suppliers as well as other departments within the company such as Purchasing, Quality, Assembly and Manufacturing departments - developing key skills required by Industry.
• Triumph offers sponsorship deals to students whom it aims to bring back into full time employment after graduation.
Our objective is to recruit the top students for industrial placements with an ultimate aim to offer them full time employment after graduation. This allows Triumph to employ the very best up and coming engineers to join our dedicated and enthusiastic teams.
The CVs will be considered by the department managers and successful candidates will be asked to complete 3 aptitude tests together with a personality questionnaire. Applicants who successfully pass the aptitude tests will then be invited to attend a formal interview with department team leaders/managers, following which a selection will be made.
All application assessments and interviews are held at the factory in Hinckley.
Please note that this role is only open to Undergraduates who need to undertake a year out in industry as part of their degree course.
Triumph offers a variety of competitive benefit schemes which can be utilised by all staff including 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, a Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Free Parking, Subsidised Canteen etc. Additionally, all staff have the opportunity to purchase motorcycles, clothing and accessories at a heavily discounted rate.